f you’re getting back into the dating game after a breakup or a stressful divorce, it’s easy to forget some of the simple things that are important in making a good first impression. A first date is, after all, somewhat like an audition, and if you expect a “callback” you have to pay attention to the details.
Here’s a checklist that can knock some of the rust off your dating skills:
For the Ladies
You might be somewhat obsessive on making a good visual impression on that first date. Don’t be. Do this:
- Choose your outfit the day before. If what you choose is comfortable and appropriate for the occasion, you’ll look great.
- Wear your hair the way you like best. Guys don’t care about primping so much as a natural look that you feel comfortable with.
- Don’t stress out over conversational topics. If the connection is there, great chat will follow.
- Give yourself an emergency out. If the date turns sour, you’ll be glad you had an emergency rescue plan. Use your imagination.
- Whatever physical signals you send, make sure they are not subject to misinterpretation. Prepare to let him know that you would like to see him again by adding a “see you again soon?” to set a good foundation for a second date.
For the gentlemen
Chivalry is far from dead, and women love to be treated with courtesy, consideration and respect. For example:
- If you’re going out to a restaurant, ask your date about her favorite cuisine and make reservations accordingly.
- Dress appropriately for the occasion and layoff the strong cologne.
- Be on time and be sober. During the drive, leave the radio off. Keep the conversation going.
- At the restaurant, open the door or go first if it’s a revolving door. Wait until she’s seated before you take your seat. When ordering a meal, if she suggests sharing, by all means, share.
- You’re on your own in interpreting and acting on the signals she sends. Your best way to initiate physical contact is to offer your arm or hold hands while walking.
Being natural, polite and considerate to the other person, and, above all, projecting a somewhat gussied-up version of your real self will get that call back. You’ll then be able to showcase your deeper qualities that attracted you to the other person to begin with.